Bangladesh and Nigeria among countries that may face EU Visa restrictions
Read original article on Reuters or read a quick summary below;
- The European Union states decided on Friday to restrict visas for foreign countries that refuse to take back their nationals who have no right of asylum in Europe.
- The EU is cracking down on immigration following a spike in arrivals across the Mediterranean since 2014.
- Italy is now the main gateway to the bloc and most of those reaching European shores after boarding smugglers’ boats in Africa are considered illegal labor migrants.
- Some countries, including Bangladesh and Nigeria, are often reluctant to readmit their citizens and the EU has recently doubled down on efforts to expedite such returns.
- During a two-day meeting in Brussels, the bloc’s 28 leaders agreed to use “all possible levers, including… reassessing visa policy toward third countries”